REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF
DD 214 OR DISCHARGE.
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to the Post Membership Committee:
- Complete American Legion Membership application by clicking on our “APPLICATION” page.
(Applications are also available at the Post.)
- COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE (to be enclosed with your dues payment – see #3 below.)
- Membership Dues Payment. Dues payment of $35. See application page for address to which to send your dues payment and evidence of discharge. DO NOT SEND CASH.
- If the information is correct, membership will be approved and then a membership card will be mailed to you.
- Please see eligibility dates below.
Veterans applying for transfers from another Post to Columbia Post 581 must submit the following:
- Completed Member Data Form.
b. COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE
c. COPY OF MEMBERSHIP CARD
- Membership dues payment, if current year dues are not paid. If current dues are paid, please pay dues for next year’s membership.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces between:
(April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918) World War I
(December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946) World War II
(June 25, 1950 – January 31, 1955) Korean War
(February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975) Vietnam War
(August 24, 1982 – July 31,1984) Lebanon/Grenada
(December 20, 1989 – January 31, 1990) Operation Just Cause
(August 2, 1990 – Today)* Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm
Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
Must have served at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates below and honorably discharged or still serving honorably. :
Again, APPLY HERE for membership.